Benefits of Dog Ownership
A pet is certainly a great friend. After a difficult day, pet owners quite literally feel the love. In fact, for nearly 25 years, research has shown that living with pets provides certain health benefits. Pets help lower blood pressure and lessen anxiety. They boost our immunity. They can even help you get dates!
Recent studies show that those of us who own a pet are usually healthier and happier in our lives than those who don’t – and shelter or rescue dog owners are particularly privileged because of the joy in knowing you’ve made a difference!
Why owning a dog is good for you…
- Regular dog-walking improves fitness levels.
- Dog-walking increases social interaction – many people become friends with the fellow dog owners they regularly meet.
- Walks help to forget the stresses and strains of everyday life, providing an opportunity to can get away from it all and spend some time with a faithful companion.
- Dogs provide us with a sense of emotional wellbeing thanks to the unconditional love they give us.
- Dog owners generally have a more robust immune system, helping them stave off illnesses.
- Dog ownership helps people to recover from personal trauma, such as bereavement.
- Dog owners generally have reduced blood pressure compared with non-dog owners.
- Patting a dog lowers your blood pressure, therefore lowering your chances of cardiovascular disease.
- Dog owners often recover faster from illnesses and have a higher survival rate after a heart attack.
- Dog-owning children have fewer sick days off school, and children who own pets often have better self esteem.
Above all, dogs are great fun. They can make you laugh, even if you’ve had a terrible day, and they’re always there for a reassuring hug when you need it. A dog’s primary wish in life is to make you, its owner, happy. How noble – and cool – is that?